Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fakebook?

Facebook and I have a love-hate relationship. On one hand, I love that I can see updates from my friends, see engagement, wedding, baby photos.....and I especially love our family groups, where we can post things just to our family members. It's great.

But here comes the hate part...

I means I can sit home all day if I want, and feel like I'm connecting with people, when in reality I am not. I'm one of those people who can count her friends on one hand (sadly)....and even those friends I don't reach out to in other ways because "I can't just use Facebook ....no phone calls, no texts....what is wrong with me? But it's not just me, everyone does it to some degree.

I also hate that Facebook is sort of an individual advertisement page (especially for singles) and I get sick of people posting picture after picture of themselves in the mirror.

Gag me with a spoon already!

And that you can post anything you want- make yourself whoever you want....but it's never reality.

My Facebook page may brush the surface of who I am, but you can't really get to know someone through Facebook. Nothing will ever beat human interaction.....

As a counter to that argument you could say that you could get to know someone better online because perhaps they are more open then they would be in person....

My come-back to that is, THEN you're not really getting to know that person- just who they portray online.....isn't the point of being someone's friend is being able to talk and be with that person in real life?

When I was a kid I had a pen-pal, remember those? And I actually got to meet her in person, and when I did it was REALLY awkward....I had thought we would hit it off right away....but we didn't and we sort of don't talk anymore. It was weird.

My whole point here- is stop feeling like you have 500+ friends, because the fact is

YOU DON'T!

Which is exactly why we should reach out in our communities, to our neighbors and people that are actually around us and make friends!


1 comment: