Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Star Trek


First off- Star Trek is one of my very favorite television series...in fact, it is still fighting with LOST first first place in my brain for "Best Television Series Tabitha has Ever had the Pleasure of Watching"

It's a pretty shiny award- because it is made of pure 14 K gold

But if you haven't watched these series- you should....in fact if you wish to understand nerd humor, where the ipad came from....where cell phones came from...where the internet came from....where the flat screen television came from....where furbies came from....and important stuff like that- than you should/ you need to watch Star Trek.

In honor of Martin Luther King Day- you all should read this article, or listen to this interview (seriously, it explains why Star Trek is a very progressive TV show/ historically important)

The video below is the first interracial kiss, which aired on this episode of Star Trek




Pretty cool, right? That's how awesome Star Trek is...yes this scene is a little cheesy, but so was all television back then, which is why we love it, right?

All in all, I think Star Trek is an awesome series, and I think if you were to watch all the star trek series, the original and the next generation (Captain Picard is also awesome)....you'd be surprised at how it changes the why you think about the world around you, and helps you to think critically- personally, I think it opened my mind to endless possibilities, as well as to moral and ethical dilemmas that I wouldn't have thought about by watching Bones, Glee, or Modern Family.

I double-dog-dare you to watch all of the original Star Trek series....like I have...(and/or Star Trek: The Next Generation)....and I bet that if you did this- you too would feel this way about Captain James. T. Kirk


He's the original awesome.

Live Long and Prosper, my friends!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you love Star Trek! I've seen a few of the original series, but WAY got into the Next Generation there for a while! Now I feel like I need to rewatch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could write several posts about the Next Generation- it's probably my favorite to be honest, but I'm also in love with a lot of older TV series...Twilight Zone, I Dream of Jeanie, Happy Days, Andy Griffith, Bewitched, Green Acres, Lost in Space... they just have a delicious innocence about them. But the Next Generation series is really fun to rewatch, and my husband and I recently started watching Star Trek: Voyager and we've surprisingly enjoyed that a lot too.

    ReplyDelete