Friday, April 5, 2013

The Letter

In class we wrote letter to someone in the media about something we felt passionate about, first thing I thought about was Carl's Jr and their awful commercials....so here is my letter

Dear Carl Karcher Enterprises,

Your sexual advertisements for Carl's Junior are disrespectful, demeaning, and damaging towards women. After seeing your Carl's Junior Super Bowl commercial this year, I am firmly resolved to never purchase your products again. I am not a mindless consumer that will simply buy things that remind me of sex, so please do not assume we are all stupid. The moment your commercial aired, all my respect for you as a company was gone, and you should care about this. I find your advertisements offensive and crude. As I am sure you already know, women have 86% of the purchasing power in the United States, and believe me, we take this power very seriously.
Your commercials tell me you are not proud of your business, or confident in your product. Your commercials tell me that you do not respect women. Your commercials tell me to never buy your product, because it obviously sucks on many levels. Either you change the way you advertise, or your business will not last in the long run.
It's your future, take pride in the legacy you leave, and make your restaurant chain a family friendly place, where everyone can feel welcome. If the only idea your advertisement team can come up with to sell your product is a sexy woman, nearly naked, eating it....then they are not a very good advertisement team. In fact I'm pretty sure a cro-magnon could come up with a better idea. Ask yourself, where is the creativity? Where is the art?And how much are you paying these people to make garbage?
When I see a commercial I want to laugh and connect with the product. I do not want to see a message that says, "women are objects to be drooled over". I would much rather see a delicious burger, made fresh, that is healthier than the other burger places. Your commercials make your burger look like the slut of all the other burgers, so why on earth would I choose to eat a slut-burger when I could eat a family cookout burger that tastes like a summer breeze? It's a no brainier to me, as it is for many thousands who I know feel the same way.
I know you can come up with a much better advertising campaign, so please just stop with the lazy advertising, put your thinking caps on and be creative. Stop undressing women, and start impressing them.

Sincerely,
A Former Costumer


1 comment: